Copyright by Mythic Games – Pictures copied from Kickstarter campaign

Last edited by Shifare on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shifare
Admin

View user profile http://mbpantheon.actieforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ajax : Strongest of the Greeks [HTW]

Post by Rhalius on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:23 pm

He's very strong for a three point hero, but I think his shame balances it out.

Rhalius
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teowulff on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:50 am

"Strongest of the Greek" .. well not quite ... Surprised
Too bad Ajax is depicted with a typical 15th century battle hammer instead of his axe. A bit of a missed chance to make him more recognizable.

8/9 for a 3RP unit that also brings a AoW card certainly isn't bad. His first power gives a 50% chance to heal 1 wound, which isn't really groundbreaking. His second is a penalty for not inflicting damage; although one would expect Ajax to cause at least 2 damage with 8 attack dice, he also has to activate to move across the battlefield or to remove a petrification token, which gives him an extra vulnerability.

Still, a very solid fighter for his cost.
Teowulff
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhalius on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 am

Probably best to recruit him late in the draft, when you know the enemy does not have any units that give tokens. If the enemy has several units with tokens, that's going to hurt Ajax a lot.

He will also greatly benefit from Artemis I think, who would give him some extra movement.
Just never use him against Persephone, he wouldn't be able to move.

Rhalius
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxC on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:46 am

Rhalius wrote:Just never use him against Persephone, he wouldn't be able to move.

That can be said about a whole lot of units anyway and isn't entirely true. Running him would enable him to move 1 area, plus his shame power wouldn't kick in. You'd be better off not drafting any move 1 units at all against Persephone in the first place though (excluding Diomedes).
MaxC
Hero
Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhalius on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:51 am

His shame would kick in when running too, whenever he does not inflict damage during his activation he loses a vitality.

Rhalius
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxC on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 am

Using a special action, such as running, means that unit's powers and talents don't take effect on that activation. I can only assume that applies to all powers, including shame.

Could be wrong though. I have a feeling the intention would be for it to kick in every time except maybe on deployment. The wording of the power may change before release, but until then I'll gladly accept that loophole Wink
MaxC
Hero
Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhalius on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

Oh I didnt know that talents and abilities didnt take effect when running.
Fair enough.

Personally I would at least go with that shame not kicking in during deployment. He might work pretty great for late deployment with a weaker god that you keep in the back. Lure enemies to your god, and then unleash Ajax, who is strong enough to take on pretty much anything that can't disable him.

Rhalius
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryocat on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am

I would think the intent of the Shame power would be to lose one vitality if you don't inflict damage, despite whatever else happens. I could see it activating on the deployment activation being a bit rough though

Cryocat
Troop
Troop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxC on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 am

Cryocat wrote: I could see it activating on the deployment activation being a bit rough though

More like pointless. It might be simpler to just leave it as is and justify it as "if he's running, it means he's trying to get into the fight so he doesn't need to hit himself". The rules don't need to 100% fit with the lore and there will always be some level of abstraction.
Yeah, you know what? It'll probably be best for them to stay consistent with the rule that powers don't activate than to add another paragraph to the power's description, which may lead to some confusion.
MaxC
Hero
Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Teowulff on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:07 am

MaxC wrote:
Cryocat wrote: I could see it activating on the deployment activation being a bit rough though

More like pointless. It might be simpler to just leave it as is and justify it as "if he's running, it means he's trying to get into the fight so he doesn't need to hit himself". The rules don't need to 100% fit with the lore and there will always be some level of abstraction.
Yeah, you know what? It'll probably be best for them to stay consistent with the rule that powers don't activate than to add another paragraph to the power's description, which may lead to some confusion.
Not sure if deployment counts as activation. I think not (I could be wrong).
When running he is activated and it seems that passive powers are always working. So I wouldn't count on it that it disables his Shame.

I don't think I will use Ajax a lot, unless as a last choice. He is way too easy to counter by forcing him to destroy himself. Think of petrify, web, chain, rapture and other disabling or movement impairing skills like Atlas' or Persephone's. Keep distance to Ajax so he has to move. Only if you can use him defensively and your opponent has no units that put tokens on yours he would be viable.
Teowulff
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhalius on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm

He works best when drafted late and when you have three points left and your opponent already has his/her entire army ready and has no disabling units.

I'd certainly be worried if my opponent would draft Ajax against me like that because he is stronger than other three point heroes, and does have a descent chance to ignore damage.

Rhalius
God
God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caibre on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 pm

BTW guys I believe QW said that no abilities (passive, negative, etc.) get used if a special action is used by the unit that turn. So deployment and running I believe leads to his passive not being activated. So Ajax can charge in and not be affected. It's just that once he's there, he needs to keep bashing skulls.

caibre
Troop
Troop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top